aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Supermarket Matters

I know a lot of writers. It's primarily because of their love of writing that I have bonded with them; gotten to know them and continued to stay in touch. 

Mark Chatterley - Supermarket Matters
Mark Chatterley was not one of these people. He loves to write - he's also very good at it, despite his protestations to the contrary - but this friend was one I met at the peak of adolescence. We got drunk with mutual friends, made our Religious Studies teacher wish he'd had the sense to stick to Maths, and generally bounced back and forth in an easy, and thankfully, lasting friendship. 

Through being linked on social networking sites, the term 'Supermarket Matters' is very familiar as Mark's latest writing project. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't really taken the time to investigate until this morning. To be honest, now that I have, I'm blown away by his commitment and productivity since the idea was first conceived. 

So many writers, myself included, dream of the far off day that we can begin to make a living from stringing sentences together. We read books, talk knowledgeably and perhaps even start blogs so that we don't feel the creativity is completely wasted. So very rarely, one of us breaks the rules and actually does something proactive. 

Supermarket Matters was Mark's brain child - "originally a vehicle to help me – and others like me – break into ‘the industry'" as self-described on his blog. A series of script-based pod-casts following a no doubt amusing story line through the running of a Supermarket. What has emerged though, is a strong network of script-writers, techies and enthusiasts - making this a very real and very credible project. Having invested talent, time and money into Supermarket Matters, this post is simply my way of raising a glass to an old friend and budding script-writer - also sending potential writers in the right direction to either get involved with Mark's creation, to simply see how it's done, or to shame themselves into also doing something a little more proactive with their writing talents. 

Things to have a look at:


No comments:

Post a Comment