aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Friday 6 August 2010

Rhyme, Rhythm and Reason

Lyrics are the deciding factor on whether a song is added to my playlist or forever sanctioned to my what-a-load-of-crap bank.


Melody has a lot of sway - where notes are so well crafted together that they spread appreciative goose-bumps up the back of the neck. But ultimately, if the lyrics have been thrown together with no consideration of rhythm or even general sense, I find it impossible to warm to the song.


For example, Lady 'I'm-so-batty-and-eccentric-you-have-to-label-me-groundbreaking' GaGa, puts some fairly decent melodies together (does she? Or does a minion do that? I actually have no idea), but I've often heard more sense from the mouth of my one year old. It's difficult to understand, because if you've gone to the trouble of creating a truly inspired piece of music; why would you carelessly throw words into the mix until they fit - regardless of context or general coherence?


It's been a pet-hate for a while - and it doesn't just seem to be the general evolution of music either; artists either care about the words they're releasing to the world or they don't. Are catchy tunes enough? Am I the stand-alone weirdo? One line out of place has the potential to ruin an entire song for me.


For example, I'm a big fan of Eminem's new single - 'I Love the Way You Lie'. Rihanna's chorus is melodic and the words fit perfectly with it. Eminem's verses are dark and powerful - such a decent song. But this:


'Just got to sit and watch her leave out the window -
I guess that's why they call it window-pain / pane (?).'


Oh. Dear.


I cringe every time that line comes round. Awful. Truly terrible. Not a clever pun. Just BAD. I'm trying to ignore it, because the rest of the four and a half minutes are brilliant.


There are so many songs that I've ranted about in my 26 years. So just for fun, I bring you -


Top Ten bad lyrics:


10. There's an insect in your ear, If you scratch it won't disappear ~ U2
9. Young, black and famous, With money hangin' out the anus ~ P Diddy
8. Lucky that my breasts are small and humble So you don't confuse Them with mountains ~ Shakira
7. She blew my nose, then she blew my mind ~ Rolling Stones
6. Chickity China the Chinese chicken, You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin' ~ Barenakedladies
5. Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin, I'm not lying I'm just stunnin' with my love-glue-gunning ~ Lady GaGa
4. "I am," I said, To no one there, and no one heard at all, Not even the chair. ~ Neil Diamond
3. Touch my bum: This is Life ~ The Cheeky Girls
2. Hoochie mama - show your nana ~ S Club 7
1. I don't want to see a ghost, I'd rather have a piece of toast ~ Des'ree


Please do let me know if I have missed any....

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog. This is brilliant. What's even more brilliant is I thought exactly the same - I listened to that Eminem song for the first time the other day, and nearly crashed my car trying to simultaneously switch off the radio and cover my ears whilst screaming.

    I do have another suggestion - the lyrical retard that is Tiny Tempah, who provides a plethora of total shite in his raps.

    "Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?" - hmm, well yes perhaps... it depends really, I mean I'm not particularly fussed on bourbons...

    "I'm in Southampton but I never bin to Scuforpe" - Umm, me neither? I don't know what else to say to this. Other than the people of ScunTHORPE are probably eternally grateful.

    "I got so many cloves I keep some at my aunt's house". I think he means clothes - he doesn't strike me as the culinary type. Umm yeah so thats like totally what I'd do. Not stop buying them, or give some to charity or anything.

    Oh and one more, for old time's sakes that should make the list:

    You know it's the bomb diggy, diggy when we get jiggy
    Let me piggy back ride on it all night long (all night)
    While I'm singing my song, all through the hoody hoody
    Wanna get that goody goody (goody, goody, goody)
    You know it's the bomb diggy, diggy, bomb, bomb, diggy
    Can I get some of your bomb diggy
    Jello, jello, goody chocolate puddy, wanna get
    A little bit of your goody goody (oh) goody goody

    Jello, jello, goody chocolate puddy = actual LOL.

    Same goes for S Club Seven - you are a genius just for knowing that :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! This actually made me laugh a LOT. Bom Diggy. Never has a song of such creative prowess graced the charts since. It's important you start blogging, Nik - your wit is wasted on Facebook and comment boards! xx

    ReplyDelete